Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Big And Friendly Giant

Dear friends,

I dunno if you gals/lads ever read books written by Roald Dahl but I - as a child - was fascinated by the way he was writing the stories and the way he was building the characters :) And I have several beloved books but the book me and my sister and I read and re-read until the book was falling apart was "The Big and Friendly Giant" - also known as "BFG" :)


Tell you the truth I would rather make  sure you guys are reading the book by yourself (and also to your children) but I know you are lazy so I will try to interest you by telling you some things about it.


The BFG is a book about (brace yourself!) a Big and Friendly Giant! :) HA! I know! You did not see that coming, did ya?! :p kidding aside, this BFG has an awesome job of collecting dreams.


Each dream is catched on the field of dreams by the BFG with his
giant net and carefully put in a jar (big or small... according to the
size of each dream) and labelled. Above you can see the collection
of dreams that he has.

One day though, he meets this little girl named Sophie and they become friends :) (named after the authors granddaughter name). One night, when Sophie cannot fall asleep during the "witching hour" (for humans, that means after midnight ;) just so you know), she sees a giant blowing something into the bedroom windows down the street. The giant notices her, reaches through the window, and carries her to his home in Giant Country.

 They team up and Sophie gets to see how the BFG collects only the good dreams and then later on he nicely distributes them to the children :) By means of immense ears he can hear dreams and their contents (which manifest themselves in a misty Dream Country as floating, blob-like objects) and blow them via a trumpet-like blowpipe into the bedrooms of children. When he catches a nightmare, he destroys it, or uses it to start fights among the other giants, who periodically enter the human world to steal and eat "human beans", especially children. The BFG, because he refuses to do likewise, subsists on a foul-tasting vegetable known as a snozzcumber (an exaggerated cartoon English cucumber), and on a drink called frobscottle, which is unusual in that the bubbles in the drink travel downwards and therefore cause the drinker to break wind instead of burp; this causes noisy flatulence known as Whizzpoppers.

But I will let you find out the rest :) I am very sure you will enjoy it immensely! I just bought myself a new copy of it and I am such a happy bumblebee about it!!! :) I bought it when my friend Cozi was here, from Empik ;) Me and my fiancee can NEVER go into that store without buying something ;))) It is highly dangerous!

**I didnt receive anything for this review, just wanted to share the love!**

Yours truly,
The BFG Lover LadyBug :)

No comments:

Post a Comment